Happy New Year!
Take a quick look at what SAFER’s been up to in 2011 and where we’re going in 2012:
Highlights of 2011:
- Released the report Implications of Biomass Definitions in January 2011. The SAFER Advisory Council hosted a Congressional Briefing as well as a webinar to share the report’s findings.
- Convened a state policy dialogue in Virginia that resulted in the white paper: The Opportunities & Challenges of Virginia’s Bioeconomy. The white paper was also presented at the Virginia Alternative & Renewable Energy Association’s annual meeting.
- Convened the Southern Bioenergy Networks Meeting with nearly 40 representatives of bioenergy networks across the South to discuss network development, Southern challenges, and ways to work together as a region.
- Completed seven bioeconomy commentaries on topics such as rural job creation, innovation, and public policy.
- Published bioeconomy case studies on the Tennessee Renewable Energy & Economic Development Council and the Georgia Bioenergy One Stop Shop.
- Co-sponsored Bio Pro Expo 2011 in Atlanta, Georgia; ASES National Solar Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina; and the Southeast Bioenergy Conference in Tifton, Georgia.
All these publications can be found under the “Publications” tab.
What’s planned for in 2012:
- Follow up and implementation on the action items identified at the Southern Bioenergy Networks Meeting.
- State policy dialogues focused on economic development and the bioeconomy across the South.
- Continued publication of SAFER commentaries and case studies.
- Update and redesign of the Southern Bioenergy State Fact Sheets.
We look forward to working with you in 2012!